Friday, September 4, 2015

LABOR DAY......not of the childbearing kind






#1   Wikipedia  
"Labor Day (Labour Day in Canada) in the United States is a public holiday celebrated on the first Monday in September. It honors the American labor movement and the contributions that workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of their country.
Labor Day was promoted by the Central Labor Union and the Knights of Labor, who organized the first parade in New York City. After the Haymarket Massacre in Chicago on May 4, 1886, U.S. President Grover Cleveland feared that commemorating Labor Day on May 1 could become an opportunity to commemorate the affair. Therefore, in 1887, the United States holiday was established in September to support the Labor Day that the Knights favored.[1]
Canada's Labour Day is also celebrated on the first Monday of September. More than 80 other countries celebrate International Workers' Day on May 1 as their holiday dedicated to labor."

#2  :  Photos By Anjie

2014  Labor Day Parade HERE  and when FOOTBALL SEASON and SENIOR FORMAL PORTRAITS BEGIN









#3:   ANJIE'S WORLD
  • Labor Day (noun) .... 1.  a national holiday, sometimes paid... given to us by labor unions a long time ago.  2.  Powhatan Parade day in the village that makes for some excellent photo ops  3.  a day in which an infant child or children are born  4.  the end of summer when the pool closes and bloggers mark this event recalling, remembering and reliving their summer
In Virginia... in Powhatan... in my world..... Labor Day is a bittersweet event each year.   It earmarks another year of school, another grade, new school clothes, and another milestone closer to what ever goals you have had for the year. 



I have a love affair with summer.   I love the water, the beach, tanned bodies, freckled faces,  warm nights etc etc etc...  



I can think about this summer and what I did.... I celebrated weddings and births and retirement and babies, birthdays and seniors and families and love ....with my job... how I make a living.... who I am.... 



I parasailed above the Atlantic Oceans amidst the enormous influx in shark attacks along the cost, I didn't see one in the miles I could see up there, however many feet I was , soaking in the views  -  although ... I was working .... I was loving and living at the same time....

and made some awesome new friends and making older friendships more memorable...and solid




This summer wasn't all fun and games..... there were many people that I knew for many years that I said good-bye too.... including one of my very best friends in school,   Heather.      I went to a celebration of life for another classmate ,  Kathy..... with some very dear high school friends.....  and we re-bonded for a minute and promised to stay in touch.... and of course I took some photos


I partied with the best of them.... yes I did.... working hard, sweating, staying out late and the endless editing..... 
but who would not want to do that?   from opening night through the entire dwindling season.... I loved every minute of it

Innsbrook After Hours knows how to throw a party! 



My air conditioning unit .... went to air condition heaven.... in the midst of the new construction.... its been a very "costly" year even though you all know of my Frugal Soul....... I sold and bought a new / used  vehicle ... sold and bought a new lens  ...and booked two exciting upcoming vacations to spite Murphy's Law....



I spent some time....with some handsome young men, when I had a chance to breath in between shoots and it was still about making memories and documenting them with this wonderful tool that I have.   Some call it a "gift from god" ... and I will take that...as my gifts have opened among some very dark and dreary times....



MY LABOR ...... MY LABOR DAY..... celebrating my work...even though that is the last day the pool is open....it marks the end of summer that I love.... its a "paid day off" for many... (but that isn't in my contract)..... my memories of the warm summer nights looking at the stars.. marks another year for me... to practice my craft... who I am ...and smile as much as I can.    

One day.... I will retire and adventure 100% of my time...and Labor Day will mean something different..... the pool will never close!

Photo Credit:  Debra Reynolds


No comments: