Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mothers Day..........when they are grown.......its kinda like Valentines Day from your kids to you.............

I have been a mom , madre, mameire, mommy, mother and a few other forms of mother as well....... oh and "ma" .............. I have been a mother to many, and on mothers day its kind of fun to think about that........ especially that I am not living with anyone that I really "share children" with.   In the past I have always had at least one step child that lived with me , well at least for the last 30 years, so more than half my life and for most of my readers' lives   I don't what its like or remember what it was like  to NOT be a mom.

I had a friend tell me yesterday that she "does not believe in mother's day"..as she is a mother of 4 and grandmother of 9 (? maybe more)  and doesn't especially talk about her mom much........ I found this shocking but telling and thought provoking for me............. ....... as a matter of fact her satus read, "Tomorrow is Mother's Day. If you need a day to be nice to your mother, then you are not a good person at heart. You should be kind and thoughtful everyday. Not just towards your mother, but to all of humanity."    I read it ............ and savored it and swallowed it and thought......... yep , I knew my friend was a smart girl, but this made her appear even smarter to me.   We really love each other and respect our mutual intelligence, but she gave me one of those moments........... that I read about on another blog today...SCRIBBLE SPEACH..."it changed me" ............ 




I thought about it and thought about it hard and .............. I agree with her............ I don't think I really believe in Mothers Day......... we choose to be moms and really shouldn't be honored for the priviledge but do believe my own mother tried to make be believe she did............actually she drilled it in my head.......and I bought it.......... LMBO

I saw moms in social services though the years that loved their children more than life itself but didn't know how to be a mom and endangered them , but not on purpose most of the time.  .......... 
so yes Mothers should spend time with their kids  for Mothers Day, and step kids and anyone that means something to you if you can.  I am fortunate to spend a day with my daughter tomorrow but I feel like saying thank you and almost guilty to let her "treat me."  It truly is my pleasure to be a mom.



I have lost children.   Through death and miscarriage.   Sometimes mothers day makes you not just celebrate but reflect.

It also could be especially hard on people that can't spend time with their kids / moms for what ever reason..................for those its like valentines ....... without a sweatheart.  

I agree with Mel.

2 comments:

Fern said...

In some ways I agree with you that it's a privilege to be a mother and we shouldn't have to require anyone to honor us for what we do; but on the other hand without good mothers, children would not grow up to be good citizens, compassionate people, or productive adults. Our children need love, support, understanding, love, guidance, love, and an education. Yes I said love more than once. Love is so important. Anyone can be a good mom if they want to be. All you have to do is ask those around you, go to the library and read, etc. There are ways to improve your mothering skills even if you didn't have a good example. You know what NOT to do. So I do believe we should honor what our mother's do. No it shouldn't be just one day a year, but every day. The problem is that we are busy and we think we are going to do something special for mom and we forget. So I DO think we should take one day a year to honor our mothers and all they do. Do we have to buy into all the expensive stuff all the talking heads say we must buy for our mothers? ABSOLUTELY not. Most moms just want to spend time with their kids and know they are loved and appreciated for everything they do. I would rather have a handmade card any day and a home cooked meal than a fancy gift.

rthayers said...

I miss you ma mere! I really would have loved to see and be with you today...I love you!