Thursday, July 12, 2012

UPCYCLING LAMPS......... AND POWHATAN $1 LAMPS



This was a project I did a few years ago ^^^^^ I took a lamp base that I bought for little of nothing..... at a yard sale..... I think $2 which included a working bulb......... and replaced the lampshade with a basic white shade (covered in plastic)  that I got for 50cents on WACKY WEDNESDAY at the THRIFTY QUAKER
I decorated the lamp by gently using a brillo pad to remove some of the peeling paint on the green lamp and spray painting the base with some metallic silver spray paint that I already had........ then I decorated the lampshade by purchasing some beaded ribbon (a couple of yards) from the fabric store........dark grey with opaque grey / silver beads , by hot gluing around the base of the shade..... I put a low wattage bulb in the lamp and WA-LA instant "romance" 
this lamp has lived in my living room for several years, I am now moving it to my bedroom......... as I am redoing my home, it has many years of life left!   This upcycled item cost me less than $5 to completely remake an old "castaway"............ I would love to see other people do similar projects........  for "further" adornment one of my COPIOUS purchases......... for a few dollars shipped (a necklace that I do wear) hangs on the lamp.......... a bit more romance on a chain............


 

NOW HERE IS YOUR CHANCE TO UPCYCLE A HOMELESS LAMP...................$1 LAMPS (THAT WORK BTW)  ARE NOW AT THE POWHATAN Fleamarket / Store :  Once Upon a Home
These are  mostly the "jar" type lamps, glass/ceramic and working..........on the $1 SHELF......... use your creative juices, paint, add shade, beads, jewelry?   or for this price you could even use the "lamp parts" for one thing and use the GLASS for another.......... CHECK THIS IDEA OUT..............  for the glass  3 different shades of blue and then a white one too




and then use the "lamp innards" to make a lamp out of something else?  CHECK THIS LAMP OUT........made from CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS 




The possibilities are endless............. so go grab a $1.00 lamp or one you already may have and get started!   HERE is another site with thoughts and instructions on how to repurpose lamps and shades too!   the ROPE lamp is really cool.......... I am thinking that making a shade out of photo negatives or old film / slides may be a great project for someone as well!  GOOD LUCK !   I can't wait to find the "perfect" upcycle for my BATHROOM CEILING LAMP REDO...........stay tuned, I will post when done!





No comments: