Tuesday, May 8, 2012

MY Zuppa Toscana.....Giving Olive Garden a Run for their Money!

Ingredients

  • 2 bunches Kale, Picked Over, Cleaned, And Torn Into Bite Sized Pieces  I used fresh from Garden ***thanks Bill
  • 6 whole Red Potatoes sliced thin (skin on)
  • 1 whole Onion, Chopped
  • 1-½ pound Italian Sausage  (I used sweet johnsonville)
  • ½ teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes (more To Taste)
  • 2 cups water mixed with Powdered Chicken Bouillion  (i tend to mix heavily)
  • 2 Cups of Milk (I used powdered)
  • 2 Cups of Heavy Cream mixed with 1 1/2 cups of hot water
  • Italian Seasoning
  •  Black Pepper (freshly ground works best)
Preparation Instructions Prepare the kale and set it aside. In a medium pot. boil sliced potatoes until tender. Drain and set aside. In a large pot, crumble and brown the Italian sausage with the onions. Drain as much as the fat as you can. Stir in the red pepper flakes, italian seasoning, chicken broth, milk and cream mixures. Simmer for 30 minutes. Give it a taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add the potatoes, a splash of heavy cream for richness, then stir in the kale. Simmer an additional 10-15 minutes, then serve.  I served this with Garlic Knots bought from the store bakery and can you say UM UM GOOD?

FRUGALLY speaking ............. the only thing I had to buy EXTRA was the Italian Sausage, inspiration was from FREE veggies Bill gave me (my neighbor) from his fabulous garden, everything else was "on hand" the sausage was less than $3 .......... this soup was enough for 2 meals for my small family and then shared enough for 2 meals for my friend and her husband .  SO serves 8............. easily!

No comments: