Friday, February 17, 2012

Birthdays ARE NOT just another day..........

william turns 1
lockley turns 1  (rachels cake fun)
Back in October I wrote a blog post about my stepdaughter, Faith, turning 16 years old and called it SWEET 16  we had a Fiesta for her for her Birthday .........
faith turns 16

it was a "big one" and thought I would share my thoughts about her on her special day and what we did to celebrate.   

colby turns 6





rachel turns 30
I think everyone should be remembered and thought about on their birthdays........ I taught my children that growing up and tried to make each birthday as memorable as possible in some way ........... sometimes spending very little money and other times spending more than I should have to do so.    What "stays" with a person when they are "old" ,  

faith turns 11
I am now "old" so have the right to state this...........is the memories, not what you "got" .......but what tugged your heart strings and who was there for you, really "celebrating" your life with you......

faith turns 10
I am not sure "which" birthday each of my kids and stepkids would consider their favorite or most memorable but I can tell you which ones of theirs I remember most.    

kelly turns 23


When thinking back to my own birthdays and which one was most memorable it was 4 years ago, the birthday from Hell...........the birthday I spent in the hospital when my husband was "almost dying"   I wrote about it , and his progress and spoke on the phone everyday with my friends and his family and stayed "round the clock" with him, not only that day but for a few months.  I slept on the floor, the end of the bed, next to him as close as I could to let him know that I was there for him. I prayed, I cried and  I waited ......... while my husband struggled with his appendix rupturing, infection, allergic reactions etc........ he went in Jan. 21........ my birthday...... Jan. 22...............spent my birthday rejoicing that we were "breathing" and that was enough.    This went on for almost 3 months............ 3 surgeries and touch and go situation everyday.  My husband wasn't and isn't much of a planner and had not gotten me a card, a gift, hung a flag, or even written me a note to say he loved me for my birthday prior to the 21st when he got sick so there was nothing from him.......  My children called my phone to say happy birthday (only 1 of my step children did not)  and I got only 1 gift in the mail from my GF in New Orleans Vicki...... yet it was the most memorable birthday I have ever had. My husband  lost a lot ,  he lost his body part and about 40 lbs, time from work and a bunch of pride, and his addiction to cigarettes during that stay in the hospital.   I lost a lot too........ but it wasn't the same things.........  I lost sleep, work, money, my place in line, classes, and opportunities. I lost a "birthday."  totally...... it was like it didn't happen,  "another day" as my Dad would say.   The people that spent that time with me on the phone and on the internet know the pain, fear and struggle that I had behind the scenes with that situation.   

I haven't spoken about it much since.....but decided it was time to "get it out there" now..........
as my "birth" day which was to be celebrated later...?.......was never but I remember well.................

butch turns 50
It was the YEAR AFTER his 50th birthday and he would have to postpone is jet pilot excursion that was planned  .......... and we did............






My own Father's birthday is next week, I don't know how old my Dad is turning , I know he is 70 something.  I really didn't know when he turned 50 and did not celebrate it with him, or 60 or 70.........or........   I don't remember ever celebrating a birthday with or for him and wonder if anyone EVER HAS?   
   I have called him on his birthday, I have sent him gifts and cards.  He has never said thank you, but he always has said "its just another day."   I often wonder what made him think this way ....... he makes it hard for me to celebrate ...........he rejects it.    I don't ever remember celebrating my own birthday with my Dad either...... but he has sent me a check "here and there" and never a card.  Why do we have such different ideas and expectations about this day we call a "birthday?" 

Happy B irthday Jesus
Christmas is a "birthday" celebration that almost everyone I know celebrates in America.   The birth of Christ is "Christmas."  Even those that I know that "don't believe in God" or "are not religious" celebrate Christmas because?  its fun?  its a celebration?  the feeling they get from the "tradition" or "giving"?  I don't know but I know one thing, some people think of it as "just another day."  My Dad is one of them...........I am NOT one of them.......... each year is a GIFT a GIFT OF LIFE of being around those that you LOVE and that LOVE YOU..........






caleb turns 5


junior's 3rd
lockley's bday at chuck e cheese NC

Most of my friends turn 50 this year........ I was first....... but I hope I get to celebrate this 1/2 century of celebration with each and everyone of them in grand style!  :)   
sherry's 50th



My 50th will be in NOLA this YEAR in MARCH ............I am "on hold" until then! :) stay tuned ............ life is too short not to celebrate it ........its not just another day............

1 comment:

Brandee Shafer said...

This post made me feel so sad. Let's plan an adventure. My Friday, next week, is bad, but any other day is good?