Friday, February 24, 2012

ASH WEDNESDAY............LENT and MORE

Dad and one of his 4 legged friends....



Ash Wednesday fell on my father's birthday this year.  His "any other day" wasn't.  It was a day that people all around the world thought about giving up or gaining a task, a love or something in a spiritual exercise that we refer to as "Lent."


Ellen and Ian :  Mardi Gras 2012
Lent is the day after Mardi Gras....... I watched from my computer screen as the pictures of the celebration, beads, cakes and costumes were posted and the floats and my heart ached to be in New Orleans with my friends in good ole "metry."  expelling my "evils" and sins in preparation for Lent and maybe even making a toast to my Dad.   


For Lent........ I was tempted to give up my cell phone which would be very difficult .........and frugal too........  You see whatever you do "give up" or "take on" for lent is supposed to be difficult and make you "think" about your promise to God when you are tempted or the thought crosses your mind to participate or consume what ever it is your gave / give up.


I decided on RED MEAT , I've done this before for lent and I have to admit it isn't easy for someone like me who loves hamburgers and steak and ham and ..........and ...........and BACON too......... 6 weeks........ I can do it , it will be a sacrifice but not as big as one as the "cell phone" idea.


Positive Vibe Cafe Richmond VA
So the very first day I was sitting at the Positive Vibe Cafe and boy did those collards with bacon sound good........ "bacon? oh yea....... I can't have that.........I'll have the asparagus instead. "


Its going to be a long 6 weeks.



No comments: