Sunday, October 30, 2011

Heap O' Healthy Po Boys Recipe PLACED! :)

I am from New Orleans and love the tastes of my hometown. I was raised on fried foods, po boys, red beans and rice, and all of the fixins that go along with it. In my quest to have healthy replacements for the food I love, I have had to find substitutes and replacements that don't compromise on taste or eating enjoyment. This is one of my favorites.

Ingredients
  • 4 servings Panko Breadcrumbs - Whole Wheat Style - Ian's
  • 1 lb. Monkfish
  • 0.25 Tsp. Black Pepper
  • 0.25 cup Buttermilk (Low fat, Cultured)
  • 2 Tbs. Chili Powder
  • 0.5 Tsp. leaves Thyme (Dried)
  • 3 Tbs. Garlic Powder
  • 0.25 cup Dijon Mustard
  • 0.13 cup Olive Oil
  • 4 roll Mixed Grain Hamburger or Hotdog Rolls
  • 2 servings Angel Hair Cole Slaw - Fresh Express
  • 4 servings Sodium and Sugar Fee Rice Vinegar - Marukan
  • 1 Tsp.Pepper or Hot Sauce
  • 0.125 cup Sesame Seeds

Instructions
  • Place an oven rack in the top third of oven. Preheat to 425 F. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and coat the rack lightly with cooking spray. Set aside. If the fish fillets are large, cut them into serving size pieces. In a bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mustard and salt and pepper. One at a time, place the fish fillets in the bowl and turn to coat evenly. Set aside. In a food processor or blender, combine the cereal, chili powder, thyme and garlic powder. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer to a shallow bowl or pie plate.
  • One at a time, dredge the fillets through the cereal mix, turning to coat both sides. Place the fillets on the prepared rack. Spray both sides of each fillet evenly with homemade cooking spray.
  • Bake for 14 to 18 minutes, or until the crumb coating is golden brown and crisp, and the fish is opaque at the center.
  • Place on Baquettes and top with Cole Slaw mixture. Serve with baked sweet potatoes or red beans.
I actually placed in a recipe contest!   :)  I placed but not high enough!  the top 4 got all expense paid trips to Philly this weekend to compete for larger prizes, I was in the top 40 and invited to compete (at my own expense) but I did get this COOL PAN AND SPATULA for participating and "bragging rights" that I did place in this one!  :)  LOL ............. soooooooooooo I love my pan and spatula but not prepared to spend the money to go compete, even though I have a sneaking suspicion that more pans may be in the mix if I did..... :) I placed with my reciped for Heap O'Healthy Po Boys

No comments: