Saturday, February 12, 2011

Delicious Valentines Day Treats.....................

Photo Credit: http://www.etsy.com/listing/38851600/vintage-1950s-whitmans-valentine-candy
I remember when I was a small girl and my Dad would make sure I had the best heart shaped Valentines Day boxes with one of those beautifully dressed dolls on the front (I would love to have kept one or get one for nostalgia's sake) as we don't see them in our stores these days............often.   I never liked most of the candy but I adored the silk covered frilly box and especially the doll.   the treats have gotten better over the years (whats inside the box) but the dolls have all but disappeared.............as have the frilly boxes .........at least at the stores i go to?

I decided to make some TREATS for my friends as we were invited to a friends house for dinner.  It turned out that the DH came up not feeling well (what I had last week) and I made them any old way for my  Dear Hubby who loves chocolate and sweets and anyone else that I may see in the coming days, while they last.

I first saw this recipe on the food network.........I have included the you tube clip at the bottom of this page
I did my own .............a bit differently than GIADA did but same concept and OMG FABULOUS



The  Ingredients and the substitutions.............I did NOT use mint or candied mint as I orig. intended...........at all..........instead I got some fresh hazelnuts from Fresh Market and cracked and chopped.............




When filling the centers I included a couple of nuts and then continued  folding the "ravioli"


I stacked them on wax paper in two layers so they wouldn't stick and as you can see mine are a bit more "full" than hers



Another difference.............I used some awesome light organic extra virgin olive oil that a great friend gave me for Chistmas (thanks Tommi)


As each layer drained on the paper towel ........I sprinkled with "mucho" powdered sugar



here is the finished product and ......................my Heart Day Table with the Ravioli stealing the show
they melt in your mouth ................yum



No comments: