Friday, February 25, 2011

Day 12 → Something you never get compliments on.

"Something you never get compliments on"



Its hard to think of something .............if it never happens............  ;I don't sit around and wonder why people wouldn't give me props on things they don't.   SO when I am sitting here forced to think about that I have to think about what I don't do well...........

Well, I can't sing..........I can't carry a tune AT ALL , I am TONE DEAF........
I made myself that way I think.   All of those concerts standing by those huge speakers blaring in my ears and not to mention the days with headphones on with the volume all the way up ........to block out my world and lose myself in songs.



Jerry Jeff Walker
Three Dog Night
Alice Cooper 
Lynard Skynard
Elton John
etc etc etc.........

I think I played some of the songs to make myself cry...........or laugh.........or be mad..........Music was like a validation.......... of my emotions NOT of my musical ability.   I think I probably sang along with the headphones on and offended anyone in the vacinity that could hear me.

I remember being a small girl, singing as loud as I could in my backyard looking up at the sky at airplanes and helicopters and imagining that they could some how hear me and that one of them would land and I would be "discovered" and be a star........LOL..........


I also remember drinking in the "Swamp Room" in Nola with my buddies and playing air guitars and counter piano's to the jukebox songs and singing in my drunkeness out loud in the bath room with my Girl Friends.  

I remember joining chorus in school and being deemed a "soprano" when I wanted to be an "alto" because I could sing that sound more easily.  I remember looking at the girl next to me when I messed up.......wondering if she noticed. 

I tried to learn how to play a few songs on the guitar......surprisingly well....... and sang "long haired country boy" with my Dad, who also cannot sing........and thought we sounded great.........and last summer, actually  sang along with Charlie Daniels  to that same tune..........he didn't offer me a job or anything but we had fun :)


I remember my Aunt (10 years my senior) and her teenaged friends laughing at me trying to sing along with them in the car, because I didn't know the words and would make up words to fill in the blanks.


I remember singing to my boyfriend "Help me make it through the night" and him telling me how beautiful I could sing...........when I couldn't.


I am thankful that my daughters both have beautiful voices and will sing with me...... smiling......... knowing that I can't sing but enjoying the time anyway.

I swooned when I was sang to ...............by those that didn't know me and some that did......... and others that got to know me afterwards.


I remember Rosanne Barr with the star spangled banner "mess up" and can relate to the struggle........and didn't fault her for disrespect but yet admired her moxie to actually go through with it ........probably the best way that she could.


I have a lot of memories about something I never get compliments on.........don't I?





No comments: