Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 11 → Something people seem to compliment you the most on

"Something people seem to compliment you the most on"
Original post on 30 TRUTHS

photo credit:  etsy.com


I get an occasional compliment , just like the next person, but it isn't something that happens everyday......... sometimes the compliments I rec've are in response to something I say or do
I don't "solicit" compliments like some do .........by saying something like "I am really getting fat.........looking for someone to say "not you're not"  Its not my nature.

Truthfully.......I don't find people in VA particularly generous in any way, much less in the way of compliments............. for some reason places that I travel to or have lived before seem to be more "generous"in every sense of the world.  Not sure why......but just an observation.

People that "really" know me.....when they are dolling out compliments or are asked I am sure they will say "smart" as one of the top compliments.  I don't know if its because I have an "answer for everything" or because  I have always done well in school?  I guess thats a "nice" thing to say about someone?  
and I guess thats what makes me what I am.............but  I would much rather hear "kind" or "generous" or "sweet" or heck lets add "beautiful" to that mix........but ........ LOL but I guess I can settle for "smart." my girlfriend in New Orleans said to me one time "girl you are so sweet you're gonna give me diabetes"  LOL.......... I loved it! :) but she is an original (luv ya nora) one of a kind girl!    

I am proud of my academic achievements but I don't hang them on a wall or talk about them often.........I have lots.............and I guess that makes me "smart".......and I should be happy and proud that i carry that characteristic........but it is also a fatal flaw...... my mind and my sometimes my mouth get in the way correcting grammar (outloud sometimes too, which can be annoying) and somewhere along the line I decided it was my job to teach people how to save money , win contests, and live lavishly for less.............even if they didn't want to know .....HA
yea that could be annoying to someone who doesn't care or want to know.......... so yea that is a flaw to a degree
..............

It appears to me that the things we do well we naturally want to share OR charge for...............I am happy that I am one who wants to share it "naturally" and "freely" but this also has bitten me in the butt..............by some becoming "greedy" with the tools I have taught them and cutting me out in a round about way of finding and doing the deals that I once had "first dibs" on.

So you see..................my smartness........... its not all that great
it truly is a "fatal flaw" just as "kindness" often seems to be.  The irony of the very characteristics that make you "complimented on" come back and "hurt you" in some way.   

My aunt joan has the same problem.  she is a generous, thoughtful and problem solving person.  She is often complimented for those very traits ..............but sometimes
people don't want "answers and solutions" especially ones that someone else comes up with so they resent or sabotage her efforts and instead of this being a compliment it becomes a criticism.  How sad................because she was /is only trying to "help."   If more people were like her we would hear a lot less moaning and groaning in the world..............but I guess if you want a solution you will ask right? 

If I had to compliment myself on something.............it would be that I am "unique" or "different" or "weird" I think outside of the box and that is probably the greatest strength I have....its won me a few contests and gotten me a few extra awards and dollars at jobs that I have taken on........it isn't one of those things that have proven to be a  double edged sword.

No comments: