Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Pumpkins ...............after Thanksgiving


I had 3 pumpkins for Halloween, we didn't carve them we set them on the porch
and kept them outside for the Fall / Autumn Decorations and without any real frostings this year we kept them up through Thanksgiving. 












Yesterday I decided I was going to make pumpkin seeds .   First I boiled them.  I separated them into 2 batches  (this is only 1 pumpkin, it took me an hour to "clean" one up, so that is all that I did)  SWEET & SAVORY.   I boiled the savory in Garlic Powder and Salt (mostly salt) and the Sweet in Cinnamon and Nutmeg.  I brought the mixture to a boil and then reduced the heat and simmered for about 10 minutes.




 


I spread a bit of olive oil onto 2 cookie sheets.  Savory seeds were spread into a single layer and salted.  The sweet were doused with brown sugar.  These toasted in a 250 degree oven for about 30 minutes turning with a spatula 1/2 way through the toasting.


While the Seeds were toasting a cut up the DESTRINGED pumpkin...... into chunks and peeled them.  I put them in a dutch oven and boiled in salt water until soft and tender.  Once cooked , I drained and mashed the mixture.....by hand.





  I then filled up the trusty food processor and "pulsed" until the mixture was pureed.  I imagine a blender would have worked just as well but I can do more at one time (all of it) in the processor so that is what I opted for.

  The seeds were ready and the pulp was placed into a container to make something with today. I think I will make some pumpkin bread.  yummmmmmmmmmmmmm    The other 2 pumpkins landed into the compost pile for the garden , sadly........... I need some sharper knives or a stronger arm to cut these things.

No comments: