Sunday, December 5, 2010

Anjie's Most Famous & Frugal Donuts


I  AKA "La-La" has been making these donuts for YEARS.  I learned how to make these when I was a little girl and NEVA NEVA NEVA forgot the process and have added a few tips along the way.   The very first thing I do is open a blue can of biscuits.  The cheaper the better.   :)   I like to find them on sale and have a coupon too and then I stock up.   I had a refridgerater full of them at one time.  



The expiration date on the cans is now quickly approaching so I decided it was time for a BIG BATCH!


The first thing you must do is heat a fresh pan of quality oil ( I use canola most of the time).  While the oil is heating up , open each can of biscuits and flatten with the palm of your hand on a clean countertop.  After flattening with one firm , palm down "smash",  flip them over one at a time and proceed to "smash" on the other side as well.  Place each one into the oil carefully , the oil should bubble a bit around them and the edges should not touch.   After frying a few minutes until golden brown , flip with tongs and fry the other side until golden brown as well.  Once they are all done transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.  



The next step is to coat them.  If you are using Powdered Sugar (what I most frequently use because of ease) you just sprinkle the powdered sugar on the donuts has they are placed on the plate and then piled high.  This is the way you make them to mimick New Oleans Style Bignets.     Today I decided to make a chocolate glaze.   1 stick of butter, 1/4 cup milk, 2 tbl. corn syrup, 2 teas vanilla (I like to use quality vanilla) are added to a metal bowl placed above a pan of boiling water and wisked until butter is melted. Add 4 oz of bittersweet chocolate and continue wisking until chocolate is melted.  Place donuts on cooling rack with a pan or paper towels underneath to catch excess. 


Dip each donut into the chocolate glaze and place back on cooling racks.  Let sit until "set" about 5-10 minutes" and enjoy eating being careful not to get too much on your chin, clothing etc. :)
these will disappear quickly, but if you have any left seal in air tight container for later.  I use a cake taker with a cupcake rack inside to keep separate and fresh.

I was able to purchase the biscuits on sale with coupon and register cash back making them FREE.  The most expensive item was the Oil..........all other items were "on hand."  

No comments: