Wednesday, April 7, 2010

SPLENDA, Tropical Traditions, CAJuN NANA PUDDING & more!

SPLENDA ®......... I am an AVID Splenda user , and often carry it in my purse and pockets when traveling or going out because I love to have it in my coffee. I don't use Splenda for baking but otherwise use it to cook with and in my beverages. I have a cookbook now thanks to momscentral.com its called the "TASTEBOOK" I found a recipe that appealed to me being from N'awlins called BANANA FOSTER SMOOTHIE!
  • 2 packets SPLENDA® Flavors for Coffee, Caramel
  • ¾ cup reduced fat milk
  • 1 tablespoon orange juice
  • ¼ teaspoon banana extract
  • 1 (2 inch)slice of banana

  1. Mix all ingredients, except banana, in a microwaveable bowl or cup. Heat in microwave 50 to 60 seconds or until hot. Pour into a blender and add banana. Cover tightly and blend 15 to 20 seconds or until banana is pureed. Pour into serving glass and serve immediately.

Note

Serving Size: 1 (7 fl oz) drink.

It was GREAT and was perfect for a quick healthy snack in the a.m. and had the extra "punch" I needed to get kickstarted for the day but it also get me "CRAVING" that sinful dish I call CAJUN NANA PUDDING............. a recipe that many of you have requested.......

While I loved the tastebook and also would love to read the SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener Recipe Collection book that you can get free when purchasing the BROWN SUGAR blend on the Splenda site.... HERE

My daughters will tell you that they learned to cook the HARD WAY because "mama" never had a recipe for much of anything , she just made it and couldn't tell ya how she did! Most of my recipes are "in my head" and I am going to try and give you the best ones , one by one! I am taking pictures to remind me of "steps" to write down LOL and I hope I don't miss something by doing it this way. Hopefully , I will have printable versions of the recipes I am sharing with you in the near future.


DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL PIE RECIPE that uses splenda? if so GO HERE and enter it and you may just win yourself a new oven!


Anjie's Cajun Banana Pudding®
Please feel free to "pass along" but remember these are my PERSONAL recipes and I would only like you to share them by providing a LINK to this blog ! I have all kinds of requests for my recipes and am trying to accomodate :) Hope you enjoy and would love feedback!


this is in no way considered a "diet" food just because I am using some "sugarless" or "fat free" products! This is highly addicting and should not be eaten by anyone that is prone to addiction. I do use alcohol in this recipe and while it is "cooked out" should not be eaten or cooked by anyone who is prone to .......... just pouring me a little cup.. on the side, as cooking this dish involves dealing with knives and hot liquids and combining the two may be hazardous to your health! This recipe is the perfect example of how one can do "creative" cooking with products they have on hand/on sale/ substitutions due to health reasons etc. You do NOT have to do everything EXACTLY the way I am going to write it down here, because the "truth be known" I make it different EVERYTIME I make it, depending on what I have.

This may seem like a daunting recipe........ or a difficult one and you may be thinking , why don't I just do like SUZY said and buy some instant pudding and cut up some bananas in it , wouldn't that be much easier and taste the same? HECK NO IT WONT you will never be the same after tasting this!

You may be saying " I never eat banana budding without the meringue, TRUST ME you will not miss it with this recipe, its RICH RICH RICH with flavor and texture.

PREP WORK:
Prep ingredients:
*1 box of Mini Nila® Wafers
*5 ripened bananas (small to med. if they are larger only use 4)
*2-3 oz of pecan pieces

place layer of mini wafers in bottom of 8x11 dish, add a layer of sliced bananas, sprinkle with pecans and then make another layer of remaining banana and sprinkle more wafers in pan until reaches the top of the dish. I had about 1/3 of a box of wafers left when I was finished to give you a frame of reference.

CUSTARD ......Ingredients:
1/2 Cup of Sugar or Splenda®
1/3 Cup of Mills® Coconut flour
3 egg yolks *reserve whites for later use (no need to waste them)
2 Cups of Blue Diamond ® Almond Milk
1/4 cup of all purpose white or rice flour
1/8 of cup of Sugar Free French Vanilla Creamer (I used International® today)
1/2 teaspoon of 99bananas® (banana schnapps or banana liquer)

CUSTARD INSTRUCTIONS
Measure out and put into a double boiler (I used a saucepan with metal bowl on top) the first 6 ingredients. Stir constantly with a wire wisk over high heat , reducing to medium heat once mixture begins to warm up. continue to stir this with wisk making sure not to "scorch" the bottom of the pudding after about 12 minutes (it will be starting to thicken) you can then Add in the 99 Bananas and stir all the way through (about another minute or 2) ,over medium heat. Take from pan with a potholder of course and immediately pour over your prepped items and let sit for about 5-10 minute. You will want to make sure ALL of the vanilla wafers have had time to soak in the pudding.

LAYER #2 INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup of TROPICAL TRADITIONS® GOLD virgin Coconut Oil
1/4 cup of pure butter
1 Cup of brown sugar or Splenda® brown sugar mix
1/2 teas. Cinnamon
1/8 cup of water ***if needed, I used granulated brown sugar this time and had to use the water ?
1/4 cup of 99bananas®
1/4 cup of Malibu® coconut rum


Top of double boiler and/or metal pan over saucepan add the first 4 ingredients and cook over med/ med-high heat until sugar is dissolved .......you MAY have to use 1/8 c. of water to make the liquid "bubbly" and dissolve all of the sugar if you use granulated brown sugar
otherwise you probably will not, you will want a consistancy that is similar to corn or rice syrup. Once you have all sugars dissolved and right consistency , add in the alcohol and cook on high heat, stirring constantly with wire wisk until mixture is near boiling point (HOT) remove from heat and pour directly over your banana pudding mixture you should have completed above ^^^^

Let this cool down a bit............ then you can top with home made whipped cream (the best) or use what you have on hand (I had Cool Whip® non-fat that I bought on closeout for pennies)
before serving. You can add a PRALINE to this dessert to make it even more sinful if you want to , have time or have on hand........
if not you can use nuts, cherry or even a drizzle of the 2nd layer. I'm having mine "PLAIN" cuz I just can't wait!

Serve this with a fresh cup of Hot Java and fall in LOVE with this dish! :)
remember you were WARNED about the addiction factor!
<3 style="" size="3" face="Calibri,Verdana,Helvetica,Arial">“I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Splenda and received products necessary to facilitate my candid review. In addition, a donation was made in my name to the Meals on Wheel organization to thank me for taking the time to participate.”

No comments: