Saturday, January 17, 2009

ANGEL FOOD MINISTRIES PICK UP


Today I picked up the JANUARY ANGEL FOOD MINISTRIES orders
what a great experience! Powhatan DEFINITELY is a LOT more organized with the distribution in comparison to AMELIA! OMG I was THRILLED w/ the procedure and professionalism of NEW HARVEST CHURCH in Powhatan! It was FREEZING out side and they made the process a quick and painless one and even put the items in my trunk for me!

FIND YOUR LOCAL SITE HERE
NOTE: if you don't have a site, you may consider helping your church open one! :) (hint: you can GRASS ROOTS THIS LIKE I DID FREECYCLE IN POWHATAN!) Some areas have many to choose from , other areas have NONE and other areas have 1. Powhatan (my area has just recently established one, I am thrilled)
POWHATAN New Harvest Church 804-512-7201 8.3 mi
****like I said before they are GOOD , and I brought them some brown paper bags to recycle as they are dependent on what they have! they were appreciative of this.

THE BOXES that I choose this month were ............
***Note: you have other choices, that may work better for you but here were mine along with some "ideas" for stretching using them:

BASIC BOX MENU FOR JANUARY - AFM claims meals for 4 for 1 week......
price $30
anjie note: this differs greatly from my menus for 4 for $30 ideas, I think one would need to be more CREATIVE with these items, but we will see! :)

1.5 lb. Ribeye Steak (4 x 6 oz.) anjie note: this is absolutely theI "right proportions" for healthy americans, my big eaters really like 8-10 oz - but that would be TOO MUCH according to "good healthy guidelines" I think that I will use mine to make an ASIAN style dish with mushrooms, broccoli, rice etc...............

4 lb. Leg Quarters anjie note: again this is "plenty" for the meat and potato eater by itself, but I will choose to use the chicken to make Chicken & Rice or Chicken and Noodle soup, or even chicken salad, brunswick soup, chicken veg. soup , white chili etc............ that should STRETCH this chicken to go a lot further

1.5 lb. Beef Patties (4 x 6 oz.): 1.5 lbs of ground beef this could be used to make many things I certainly would not serve as BEEF PATTIES / HAMBURGERS etc.............. instead I may use this to make Chili, Spaghetti, Cabbage Rolls etc..... or even stuffed peppers , I prefer to STRETCH the meat

18 oz. Cheese Filled Manicotti anjie note: add a salad and sauce and WA -LA instint delious meal!

2 lb. Pork Rib Strips anjie note: not sure exactly what do do this this one EXCEPT use it with the beans!

1 lb. Chicken Breast Fajita Strips anjie note definitely will be making the actual fajitas or enchiladas with this

1 lb. Ground Turkey anjie note easy one to use to stretch, my initial response for the ground turkey meatballs, but again , tacos, spaghetti etc are the ones that will do the best here

1 lb. Broccoli anjie note broccoli soup, casserole w/ chicken strips above, broccoli & cheese etc

1 lb. Peas anjie note: SOUP(s), 5 layer salad, side dish w/ pearl onions

6 ct. Oatmeal Variety Box-2 each-Regular, Maple Brown Sugar and Apple Cinnamon ****anjie note: mine was not variety, instead they were maple & brown sugar only......... FAMILY OF 4 - use for the kids will be 5 days worth of breakfast

32 oz. 2% Shelf Stable Milk anjie note: I will use mine to make Broccoli soup or Potato Soup

8 oz. Blueberry Muffin Mix: anjite note: generic package but would be worth it making these for DESSERT or BREAKFAST TREAT

12 ct. White Corn Tortillas - 6 inch (maybe?) the maybe is for the size of these, could make your own CHIPS to each with salsa or soup.......... or use for enchiladas

1 lb. Pinto Beans anjie note: pot of beans with riblets , chili, burritos, dip for chips

7 oz. Chicken Flavored Rice & Vermicelli anjie note: possibly add chicken slices to this or have this as a side item, my first thought (truthfully) is FRIED RICE with an egg or two from this package plus soy sauce that usually we all have on hand

One Dozen Eggs: anjie note: perfect for quiche, breakfast casserole, boiled eggs, baking etc

Dessert Item anjie note mine was a box of cookies individually wrapped in packs of 4 or 6 / lunch box treat

HINTS: make at least one type of SALAD that can be used along with LEFTOVERS to have LUNCHES to pack, my personal experience is that OTHER ITEMS ON HAND MUST BE PRESENT TO HAVE HEALTHY MEALS FOR A WEEK FOR 4, the following purchase for $21 does fill in MOST of the gaps.......


TOTAL FOR 4 - WEEKS WORTH OF GROCERTIES = $51 + on hand items such as flour, sugar, most condiments, seasonings and herbs



ADDITIONAL BOX I REC'VD THIS MONTH price: $21
3 lb. No. 1 Premium Idaho Baking Potatoes
3 lb. No. 1 Premium North Carolina Sweet Potatoes
2 lb. No. 1 Premium New Crop Western Grown Yellow Onions
HALVED PECANS - 2 6oz packages
1 lb. Premium California Grown Carrots
1 head Premium Fresh Green Cabbage
5 NECTERINES
4 Premium Washington State Anjou Pears
6 apples
3 lb. New Crop Premium Florida Tree-Ripened Valencia Oranges

THE ITEMS ABOVE (produce) all appear to be great quality and able to be used in many of the dishes I have in mind listed above that are healthy and well balanced.

With the increase in Groceries $51 for menu for 4 isn't too shabby but my goals still hovers around $40 now. GOOD LUCK I hope to hear your success stories, ideas for stretching etc............... I will try and get mr linky up soon but right now we are relying on COMMENTS

No comments: