Sunday, September 14, 2008

UPCYCLING a couple of gifts...............

ACCORDING TO WIKIPEDIA.............

Upcycling is a component of sustainability in which the use of waste materials to provide new products. It is generally a reinvestment in the environment. This process allows for the reduction of waste and use of virgin materials."Upcycling is the practice of taking something that is disposable and transforming it into something of greater use and value." The term upcycling was coined by William McDonough and Michael Braungart, authors of Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things.


One of my BF has a son and a daughter, BOTH of them decided to do something important this year! The daughter is DUE to have her baby boy this month - OCTOBER 25 and her SON just got married OCTOBER 5 in HAWAII! In September the baby shower and the bridal shower were both scheduled for the SAME DAY (9/14) I was only able to make it to the baby shower but I had to get gifts together for both................

here are my FLBYU gifts............






BABY SHOWER (made this diaper cake)
easy to do............. and CUTE CUTE CUTE
notice those little baby crocs? how adorable!









this basket I have had on hand for a while (clearance after Christmas) marked $22.99 it is white with glitter on it from craft store, it was actually quite large (about 18-22 inches diam) and 90% off I got it for $2.29 and this was the perfect occasion to use it...........





Here it is again where you can actually see that it is WHITE
with some LEFTOVER remnants from a FAIRY COSTUME that my DD, Rachel made for my DD, Kelly, it was beautiful but not big enuff really to do anything with, I retrieved it from TRASH and kept it 4 or 5 years ago! NOTE: the ribbon on the diaper cake came from the same place!





Here is the finished product with lots of BABY STUFF (click on photo to see full sized) that we have recently collected from FREEBIES, SAVVY SHOPPING and GDAS in my newsletter and other money saving blogs that teach you how to collect "like" items. NOTICE THE COOL METALLIC DESIGNER DIAPER BAG? it was FULL too!





HERE IS THE HAPPY MOM with just ONE of the items that was in the diaper bag, a GDA from our newsletter! ISNT IT ADORABLE? its so tiny!






NEXT WAS THE BRIDAL SHOWER................... these days they do "bridal showers" more like WEDDING SHOWERS ? the gift registry was anything BUT nighties and such, more like household gifts, so I followed suit with this ............





UGLY BASKET I have had for years! NOTICE THE MARKER WRITINGS ON THE SIDE? this was a basket Kelly kept her TOYS in when she was much younger, she is now 20 so that tells you how long I have had it............

the GREEN you see is an old table cloth I bought for 25cents that I use as a "drop cloth" when I do any spray painting............ after this craft I had to throw it away but it has been used many times for this "re-purpose"







BASKET RENEWED! a RED CAN OF SPRAY PAINT and a bit of primer, did the trick! NOTE THE MATERIAL on the side of the table? this material was orig. used to decorate KELLYS NURSERY before she was born in primary colors! Yes I kept it that long in a file cabinet with other remnants.







FINISHED PRODUCT complete with CORKSCREW, PLASTIC WARE, WINE GLASSES and CLOTH NAPKINS all 90% off after summer sale at KROGER.............. the little daisies in the corner of basket were saved from trash years ago from something, not sure what............








WINE BAG ......... this was a pay S&H only GDA that I got a couple of years ago and stashed in my "prize closet" I paired this up with a NICE bottle of wine and added this to the PICNIC BASKET ........ the happy couple would now be "all set" to enjoy a romantic day together after the wedding excitement settles down!

No comments: