Friday, January 29, 1999

SHOPPING SPREE

preface:
this article was sent out to my newsletter group in APRIL 1999
this was BEFORE the "today show" spree and several of my list members SYNDICATED this article for me and it was posted around the web - word for word.........
HOW COOL? anyway this is the article that sparked the interest of the TODAY SHOW!

Anjie and Debbie's Free Spree
Debbie and I headed out this morning at 8:30 to go on the BIG SPREE!!!
I did pay full price for some gasoline while I was waiting for her...
but that was the only thing I paid full price for!
We started by going to the Nissan Dealership for my testdrive/FREE EMERGENCY KIT.....
Debbie is in the market for a SUV...so she did some
window shopping while we were there!
Then off to the STORES.....
Cosmetic Center was closed when we got there so we decided to come back later.

STAPLES was our first stop I used my 2 $10 prize point checks and a $10
off $40 coupon to buy a flight similator software that retailed for
$39.99 it has a $20 rebate!
I paid $12.00 and will get back $20.....$8.00 profit after rebate!!!

Then we went to Pier One.
I had $1 left on my Debit Card from the Test Drive
Deal.....Valentine Stuff was 75% off....I bought a little gold heart
basket, a cookie cutter filled with some jelly beans and 2 bags of
shredded red basket filler for $3.52, used my $1 credit.....
final cost $2.52.
Debbie found an in store 50% lowest price marked sale on a VERY
NICE VASE she paid $13.00 for a $40.00 vase!
$2.52 TOTAL COST FOR ME

Stopped at the Nature Store and got my FREE WILDBIRD SEED!!!!
Total Cost -0-

Then off to Eckerds...I had a $10 Advantix c/o and $3 MAALOX c/o...
total cost 44c for TAX...Debbie made $ on this stop because she had
not done the AUSSIE OR THE LISTERINE deals so we added these to her
order and she used $2.50 in c/o....
so she got 4 items and got paid to take them!!
TOTAL COST FOR ME .44 cents

BARNES AND NOBLE was an EXPENSIVE stop for me because I have been
DYING to get CRANIUM!!! I went straight to this $35.00 game and then to the
Cafe for 2 Vanilla Lattes.
After gift certificates from My Points and Gortons my total was $11.70

SEARS...yes they are having a GREAT SALE and we saw many
items for 75% off lowest price marked...but nothing looked as good as
the FREE magnetic blues clues frames that Page had told me about just this a.m.
We each walked out with a FRAME.
Total cost -0-

GANTOS.....OH did we have fun here!
I bought a $60 dress marked down to $44 then 40%off and
a $24.00 necklace marked down to $18.00
I had a $20 FREERIDE gift certificate and a $25.00 gift certificate
that I received on my birthday.
I bought them both and got $6.20 change....then I noticed the SIGN....
sign up for CREDIT CARD FOR 10% off! Well, we did the order
over and I walked out with ANOTHER $10.00 Gift Certificate AFTER
Purchase! In addition to that Debbie noticed that there was a TEENY bit
of makeup on the collar from someone trying it on......FREE DRY CLEANING
from the STORE I can take it ANYWHERE!
Debbie racked up on 2 bracelets $16.00 value paid $11.00!
MY TOTAL COST: PROFIT $10.00

While at the mall we ran over to KB toys and picked up their flyer,
to take back to Staples later.

TOYS R US....Bought a bunch of EASTER BASKET GOODIES FOR MY 10
year old... A FREE HOT WHEEL CAR c/o from Bday club internet
(found a Reeses CAR!!!)
I used my Knex c/o's and walked out with $6.00 extra in my
pocket here too! $10.00 TRU GIFT CERTIFICATE USED!

TJMAXX: found a "jungle/safari" pillow here ...very unique...and hit a
final markdown sale ...bought an $18.00 decorative bowl...marked down to
$11 final mark down..$3! I bought BOTH ITEMS...used my $10 Mypoints
gift certificate...Plus the $6 from TRU and had to charge a whopping $3
to my Freeride Credit Card.....

On to Pizza Hut for Lunch Debbie only likes Pepperoni so she got a
personal pan pizza and tea and I got the all you can eat buffet....and
coke...our total bill after the Prolaunch $10 gift certificate was .51 cents!
I gave the waitress a $3 tip so my final cost was $3.51.
I happened to know the manager in the store who allowed me to take some
left over pizza from the bar home...so they would have less to clean
up...walked out with 3 boxes ...1 with Salad 1 with Breadsticks and
another with Pizza......Dinner tonight FREE!!!
TOTAL COST FOR ME $3.51

EVERYTHING HAD GONE SO WELL UNTIL....
we went back to Cosmetic Center....this was a fiasco....I bought Alpha
Hydroxy (internet survey c/o for 1 free any product c/o) Aussie
treatment package 99c used $1 c/o and 18 Almay products that were 50%
off...used the $5 off 2 coupons that I got in their store and they paid
me .20 cents and $2 off my next purchase c/o to take it all!
I also used a $2 in store coupon to make this purchase. Now I left out
that they gave me a VERY hard time...and at one time had 5 people in a
4x4 space trying to figure if I could use more than one of the Almay
coupons ....one per purchase...the c/o read...and they were trying to
say that meant 1 per person! Also they could not understand the FREE
coupon...I picked up a specially wrapped b1g1f package....two products
wrapped together for 1 price....they were trying to say I had to BUY one
of them....even with the FREE coupon....I explained that my coupon said
FREE ANY ONE ANY SIZE and I chose this ONE....but still didn't get
it....on and on round and round we went....at the end of the sale....I
told her that she should only take off $4.50 for the last $5.00 coupon
on the ALMAY because I saw that my total was down to $4.80 she said
"you want me to ALTER a coupon?" I said well then you will owe me $ if
you don't...go ahead...so when the register drawer popped open and the
receipt said CHANGE .20 cents, she said that will be .20 cents.
I told her no that wasn't the case she owed me .20 cents but I pulled .20 cents out
and put it on the counter....she said "I can't accept that...here is
your .20 cents back".
I said "thank you have a nice day" and went to the car where Debbie was
waiting...she couldn't take the ignorance and waited in the car....
MY TOTAL: profit $2.20

THEN THE WORST: We went to Staples...We price matched some software
titles to get them VERY cheap....will spare you the details...but the
cashier got mad that she paid almost $50 for Sorry and Risk last week
and was determined that I couldn't have them for that price
either.....she tried to say the software at kb toys was SHAREWARE!
Can you believe it ...then when I told her NO I WAS SURE IT WASN'T she said
oh they are demo versions...etc..etc...we waited about 45 mins while she
called KB TOYS and asked questions about the software, if they had each
one in stock (6 titles) etc....etc...she was making both Debbie and I
mad...then Debbie said a "dirty wordy" to me....talking to ME not her
and she threw up her arms and YELLED I am not WAITING ON THEM SHE CURSED
AT ME! Then she walked away several yards with my credit card in her
hands and told DEBBIE SHE HAD TO LEAVE THE STORE.....STILL YELLING SHE
THREW THE CREDIT CARD AND IT HIT DEBBIE....
SHE was an emotional basketcase...and for NO reason!
The manager came over to check us out....and get this ...
had to call someone to tell him how to do a
pricematch on the computer...I told him how....long story short we
called the DM and he said "I know the cashier and find it hard to
believe she would act that way. I will check with the other employees in
the store about what happened" Debbie hasn't talked to him yet but I
did....OH BOY WAS THAT EVER A BAD SCENE...I was invested with time and
principle so I continued on with the sale until I got all 6 titles for
$16.00 (will get $5 back on one and another was b1g1f mail in) but
Debbie left refusing to buy her stuff! I hope that corporate office will
take this matter seriously ...It was not pretty!

NOW ...if you ask Debbie about the day...her favorite part was the
picture taking she loved taking pictures and we took several together.
She especially liked it when I took pictures with the employees of the
store! We photographed the entire day EXCEPT THE STAPLES INCIDENT
which I guess that is what we should have photographed!!!LOL
But our minds were on going home...it had started to snow and we were late
getting home to our kids....and didn't get to stop at Food Lion, Winn
Dixie or Walgreens as planned....but there is always tomorrow! LOL!
After getting Debbie to her car....I ran into Frisbees with a bottle cap
that gave me a free mountain dew that I found on the ground and on the
way out picked up an empty box of Marlboro....so it wasn't that bad of
an ending.....here are the grand totals:
CREDIT CARD CHARGES 48.99
REBATE COMING TO ME 25.00
Gift CERTIFICATES 12.00
CASH .20
TOTAL COST TO ME............$23.79 plus have $12.00 for future purchases!
TOTAL VALUE......................$530.00
WAA HOO!!!!! 95% SAVINGS +
ALSO USED MY FREE RIDE CARD SO EARNED 49 points today for SHOPPING!!!!

happy shopping GANG! anjie

No comments: